Apple has acted promptly to issue software to remove a Flashback Trojan virus that is believed to have affected over 600,000 Mac computers worldwide. The virus removers comes shortly after Russian anti-virus firm Dr. Web identified the Trojan as a potential high-threat to infected users as previously reported by cheapest-iPod.
Secondly, the update released by Apple, titled version 1.0 Flashback malware removal tool is only available for download by Mac owners running OS X Lion and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and earlier versions. The removal program will scan your machine and erase the most common variants of the Flashback Malware that it identifies.
The key points of Apple´s malware removal software reads:
- About Flashback malware removal tool
- This Flashback malware removal tool that will remove the most common variants of the Flashback malware.
- If the Flashback malware is found, a dialog will be presented notifying the user that malware was removed.
- In some cases, the Flashback malware removal tool may need to restart your computer in order to completely remove the Flashback malware.
- This update is recommended for all OS X Lion users without Java installed.
The Flashback Trojan was first identified as a potential threat last September, but at the time was considered a low-risk. The virus has since turned out to be the worst attack ever witnessed by the Mac platform – which makes you wonder why a prevention was not put in place when it was initially identified, low risk or not!
Similar / Related Articles: